Barnegat Light Tourism Coalition logo

Welcome

OUR HISTORY

First deeded in 1692 by the English Crown, our town was established in 1881 with the formation of the Barnegat City Improvement Company. The intention was its development as an area for recreation and tourism.

In 1904, Barnegat City seceded from Long Beach Township and became an independent Borough and separate political entity. The name Barnegat City remained until 1948, when a referendum was passed, changing the name to Barnegat Light.

The Barnegat Lighthouse is a significant part of our town's history. Designed by Civil War General George Meade, it was commissioned in 1859. It is the second tallest lighthouse in the United States, and the most visited landmark in New Jersey.

For more info, visit the Barnegat Light Historical Society website by clicking here.

create a church website with Clover